Costa Rica - July 7-14

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ocean Waves…

Today we visited the ocean. We went swimming,kayaking, biking, snorkeling, and body surfing! Although the weather wasn’t as sunny as we’d like it to be, we got some great waves coming into the beaches.

Kayaking

Although the waves stopped us from kayaking on schedule, we convinced the guides to allow us to go to the second beach; Where we decided that any “brave,courageous soul” could take out a kayak and try to go either into or past the waves. This provided a challenge to any person that decided to attempt to take on the waves. We definitely had an amazing time with the kayaks.

Snorkeling

Snorkeling was fun. Even though it was extremely wavy and shook up the coral and fish, we had fun. It was kind of fun because we were soo close to the coral and fish. Actually, some people even realized that as the stood up, they were on top of it!

Body Surfing

After kayaking, we decided to see if we could catch some waves. So, with our international orange colored life vests, we went out to the ocean to meet with the waves. The waves were an estimated 10 feet high! About 9 of us went out to meet the waves. The waves were…in one word, AMAZING! The only thing that I feel I can compare them to is the rouge wave in the movie Poseidon. I was amazed at how big and fun they were. This was probably the funniest part of the time we spent in the ocean and on the beaches.

Today

Overall,  think that today was great! Some of us even want to come back, after we graduate, so we can track down some of the “gnarly” waves again! I think that the time spent on the ocean was,no doubt about it, the time of our life!

Also…

So far the trip has been great! And completely mesmerizing. I am think this goes with out saying but on behalf of every student, “ We are totally grateful and glad that al of the parents worked hard to allow us to go on this trip!”

~~~ Christopher Drummond

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are all having the time of your life. This blog is wonderful to make us feel a part of your trip. Thanks for writing and see you all soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you all are having such fun and learning too~ Amazing how that happens. It is nice seeing all the pictures and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward every day to coming home and reading these posts and seeing the pictures! It's like watching a season finale and can't wait to see what will happen next. Thank you to DSA, Joel & Tearney, and all of the students who share their experiences with us at home. I know if I had to wait til my son came home, all I would hear is "It was great Mom, can I go to the mall?" I know you are having an amazing time Austin and that's what makes it all worth it to me! Love and miss you! Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you loved the ocean, it is a life long romance that you will never forget. I started mine when I was 8 years old. Chris, when you come home, ask mom for diving lessons. Anthony is certified.

    I can tell you that in January, when I was snorkeling in Mexico, there was a stupid fish that kept following me, and the kids thought it was very funny. (I did not...) Every time I was trying to video them, it was trying to steal the show! You can hear me in the snorkel yelling, "stupid fish..." I wish I had thought to send you with our underwater video camera! can't wait to hear about all your fun stuff!!

    Love, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are taking advantage of all this trip is offering you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Christopher -
    I am so happy you're having an amazing time! And, I'm also glad you're realizing the great opportunity your parents have given you with this trip! Perhaps, you can be an exchange student in college (like I did when I went to London, England). Travelling to distant places (seeing other customs and people) is the best life experience you can have!

    ReplyDelete

Programs Details

Duration 8 days
When July 7 - 14, 2010
Focus Ecology/Conservation
Biology
Geology/Volcanology